Wednesday, 7 May 2014

The Red Wedding Dress, Part II. Handmade Disasters!

***
Previously,
 on 

***

At our first appointment, my friend put on the muslin of her wedding dress and...Oooops, it wasn't her size! Awkward moments, those - fortunately followed by big smiles, appreciation words, and all. But I was terrified. Again.

...Then we had this very intense week, with the bride coming over almost every day. Nonetheless, alterations based on the original pattern seemed beyond my skills, so I took her measurements again, and made up with a first, then a second, and eventually a third bodice - one every two days, basically. 
But each of those had something... not quite right!

I draw patterns on IKEA paper for children flip-boards.
That's the reason why.

Given the situation, after ten days, I took a deep breath and did the following - maybe unorthodox! - thing: I let my friend wear the latest bodice. With her standing in front of a mirror - for her to say what she liked better, but she stayed quite silent -, I started reducing it, until they were hand and glove.

the cut: front right 

...Well, rather than a glove, the bodice at that point looked more like Frankenstein's, but I wasn't discouraged. I unmade it, and create a new pattern from its pieces.

...that would be the sleeve!!!

It took many days to do all the work, so... two weeks ahead of the big day, I advised my friend against my own skills!


...isn't it front right again? Sorry, I got confused! 
The tablecloth is not helping, anyway.

She kindly accepted to buy a back-up dress, for her wedding's (and my) sake. We went everywhere, from a fancy vintage fair in Dún Laoghaire to cheap department stores. We found many great accessories, but not a suitable back-up dress. Eventually, she managed to buy the perfect substitute in a vintage showroom in Dublin city center...but doing so, she gave up with another piece of her dream: the circle skirt.

....definitely 1950s!

Instead of feeling relieved, when I saw it I just felt bad. A bride should have the dress she feels right for herself. If she wanted a 1950s dress, with a circle skirt, then she would have it! We continued working hard.

...all I needed. Plus many hours of work no one ever talks about on youtube!

Of course in the meantime I struggled with the faux silk. I discovered that a perfectly fitting dress is a pity to sew, especially with a stiff fabric that commits suicide every time a pin dares touch it. Beware of those. And I also struggled with the pinking shears, which work great. In fact, once I just cut off the hem and the dress, without noticing.



"Bummer, I initialised the dress".

Anyway, after many other inevitable disasters, miraculously, two days before the wedding (actually one and a half), the dress was ready, and I had the pleasure to personally deliver it! What a relief!

O dear, I bought myself an ice-cream, and walked back home.
I love it when a plan comes together.
Look, a '50s red dress, with a circle skirt!

The story of the red wedding dress ends here. Next post, I'll show you how to Do It Yourself! 

Have a nice day,

Elettra

19 comments:

  1. wow che bello...troppo originale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie Maria Felicia! Premetto che sia la scelta del rosso sia la mise 1950s sono idee - anche a mio parere geniali! - della sposa, io ho solo eseguito...

      Delete
  2. adoro questo modello di gonna anni 50!!!
    mi ricordano troppo Grease e farle girare è troppo divertente!
    Chiara
    ♡EFFENSHION…essence † fashion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...sono d'accordo! Io non l'avevo mai fatto e mi sono esaltata! Devo dire che anche dal punto di vista sartoriale ha un suo perché!

      Delete
  3. Elettra mi lasci senza parole <3 <3 <3
    che bella e tu fai sembrare facile la realizzazione di questa gonna, ma io so che non è così e che ci vuole talento.
    Un bacione e buona domenica
    The Indian Savage Diary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Un grazie di cuore per questo commento!!!

      Delete
  4. So glad everything came together in time! The dress is beautiful.

    I hope that ice cream was a double dip ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, that ice-cream was delicious!

      Delete
  5. Questa gonna è meravigliosa, brava! Lucy www.tpinkcarpet.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would say that the plan came together beautifully! Ice cream is always a nice treat!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ripensavo... a quanto vorrei vederti all'opera. Deve essere magnifico.
    Un bacione
    Maggie D.
    The Indian Savage diary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grazie Maggie! Prima o poi mi darò anche ai video!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ma che spettacolo! Complimenti :))
    Un bacione
    NewPost
    www.laragazzadellafactory.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much.
    Homecoming Dresses

    ReplyDelete