Thursday, 1 May 2014

The Red Wedding Dress, Part I. The Dawn of the Maker.

I've been barely able to update the blog and the etsy shop lately, but now I'm ready, and very proud, to tell you everything about what I've been up to!!!

Bride and Groom

No, it's not me...Some months ago, a friend of mine asked me if I could sew her wedding dress, and of course...I accepted! Because I love happily-ever-after missions, and because I didn't know that it was going to be a breath-taking, no-sleep-allowed task, with a final rush that...well, that lasted the entire month! Obsession is my second name, unfortunately for me and who stands behind the curtain, the fiancé.

However, one step at a time.
The wedding dress: a dancing section

My friend, aka the bride, desperately wanted a red velvet 1950s dress. At the beginning, we moved in both directions: vintage and DIY. Open-minded, we started wandering about vintage shops and fabric retailers. Unfortunately, she couldn't find anything she really liked in second-hand stores - and I won't here debate on the basically non-existing fabric offer, it is what it is. So, we definitely agreed for a handmade wedding gown and internet shopping.
front 

While she was surfing the web in order to find her ideal pattern, we ordered samples of at least 40 fabrics from a few internet-based businesses. But still, she couldn't find the perfect color-texture match. Brides are picky, it is known. Compromising a bit her dream (and so texture for color), she eventually went for a bright red faux silk, which arrived less than one month before the wedding. It was then that I realized we probably wouldn't make it. I was terrified, but I didn't want to give up before even trying, while she... I don't know what she was thinking. But we once again agreed to go ahead.
back 

Meanwhile - you guess - we should have bought the above mentioned pattern, but it had happened that her perspective mother-in-law had a friend, who had a sister, who was a seamstress, who had been working in the glorious mid-century Rome. Imagining a dress as fancy as Anita Ekberg's in La dolce vita, we thought it was our great chance. We sent over the bride's measurements, and, when the red fabric arrived, we had just received the pattern below, which is actually a lateral section of the dress, drawn on thin paper.

the Italian pattern, unexplored territory

The pattern arrived pinned, so to show where the various pieces join. Fortunately I have some experience with these kind of things, because that pattern had nothing to do with a pattern you may buy today. When I first saw it, I was terrified (again). With a whatever-industrial-pattern if you carefully follow the instructions you can't go wrong, right?

the trick: quotation marks.

So, that was unexpected, but I put myself at work pretending I knew what I was doing. I quickly prepared the muslin. In three days a first copy of the dress was ready. It turned up pretty well, so I was quite impressed with the work of the Italian seamstress and... with mine!

I thought: "...There is hope, after all!".

But obviously that was just the beginning!

***
Next episode
The Red Wedding Dress, Part II. Handmade Disasters!

***

Have a happy May Day,

Elettra

26 comments:

  1. intriguing process...now I want to know what happened next in the saga of the lovely red dress....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the red dress! It looks stunning in the images. I too can not wait to here the next part of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow; you are super-talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dress is stunning! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful red dress! Amazing what can be done in only one month before the wedding!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In fact, I think it was more or less a miracle!!! Thank you Lisa!

      Delete
  6. La prima foto è bellissima! Un bacio Lucy www.tpinkcarpet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie Lucy, sono contenta che ti piaccia! Photoshop è un'alternativa valida quando le foto sono fatte al chiuso :)

      Delete
  7. i'm in love with the first pic!
    the red touch is amazing!
    Chiara
    ♡EFFENSHION…essence † fashion

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! ma che bello quest'abito rosso…bella la prima foto!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ma è davvero favoloso! COMPLIMENTISSIMI! :)
    Se ti va passa a fare un salto sul mio ultimo post!
    Un bacione
    www.laragazzadellafactory.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bravaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! ti è venuto benissimo!!!
    Don't Call Me Fashion Blogger
    Facebook
    Bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing post! I love it:)

    theprintedsea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Thank you Manasi, nice to meet you! You have a great blog!

      Delete
  13. Oh really awesome look of red wedding dresses! This is looking so sexy! I also gotten such awesome red colored dresses from-

    Red Wedding Dresses

    ReplyDelete