Friday, 10 January 2014

The Cultural Tour!

Christmas holidays granted me a lot of free time, so I visited a couple of places here in Dublin I really love. The first place I went back to, actually before Christmas, is the Chester Beatty Library, where I could enjoy the delightful exposition "Costumes Parisiens". 


It displays about 150 fashion plates ("figurini") from the fashion magazine "Journal des Dames et des Modes" (1912-1914), founded by Tom Antongini, writer, and secretary and friend to the poet Gabriele D’Annunzio! 



A must-see for everyone fascinated with the late Belle Epoque's imaginary, printing technique, fashion, and of course...tailoring. 


The second place to be back to was IMMA, the Irish Museum of Modern Art (Military road, Kilmainham). There is so much to see...but I focused on the exhibition about Irish designer and architect Eileen Gray

I had already bumped into her some months ago while visiting Enniscorthy Castle (there is a spot dedicated to her on the top floor, don't miss it!). By the way, Enniscorthy (and the castle) is a very interesting place, I especially liked the museum dedicated to the 1798 Rebellion.



However, I wanted to learn something more about this extraordinary woman, and I was not disappointed. The exposition is produced by the Centre Pompidou, Paris, in collaboration with IMMA, and it is a tribute to Eileen's life and career as a leading member of the modern design movement. 

...A lot of Eileen's designer forniture is on the market, as you can see from the pictures I easily found on the internet. Right, these aren't the pieces displayed in the museum! They are brand new copies actually for sale...curious occurrence, indeed! 


Last but not least, I ended my cultural tour with the J.M.W. Turner exposition at National Gallery, which is actually a recurring January treat. Amazing, of course! I don't know if you're a big fan, but I enjoyed a specific drawing, the "Reichenbach Falls", you guess why!

Now...back to work!

Have a nice weekend,

Elettra

3 comments: