Tuesday, 16 April 2013

About the time we need.

Hello! Before sharing with you my latest thoughts and works, I'd like to thank both Imor Malia and Artesana del Lino, fellow bloggers, who nominated me for the Liebster Award! Thank you my friends!
Today I'd like to comment on a hilarious blog post by Etsy Italia Team about how tough one must be to sell on line. I'm not a great seller, but I really enjoy crafting, taking care of the shop, answering to the people's needs and expectations. So I get how tough I am!


To me things got rough as I fell in love with the art of sewing. I'm so much more busy than before that keeping things going just in my spare time...Well, it has been harder, and harder.



So I have a new strategy. When I have an entire afternoon, or a week end, I start - and try to finish - a sewing project. When I have just a couple of hours, I bead my jewelry.
As the sun comes out, I take pictures of all the crafts I made, whatever I was doing the moment right before. Photo shooting is my favorite part of the entire process, and often it's just me chasing after a sudden ray of light. I love it!
Rainy days, instead, help me with the annoying practice of choosing, cropping, improving the photos I've taken. Very boring task, you need to be almost depressed to feel like doing it.
When I have all things done - the jewels, the photos, the measures - I start with the writing, and I publish the new pieces. Rarely more than two at a time. Less than a month ago I started publishing in English and Italian, so it takes me much more time. Let's say the double :D

Eventually, during breaks I connect with social networks and try to marketing a little. That would mean blogging, likingtwitting, pin-boardingtreasuring, you name it. One should always be there under their perspective, but it's not me, really.

***

This is just the surface. There's a price, as always. Fortunately free time is not a good you can collect, and there is no point in saving it. Anyhow, if you're trying to make money out of your hobby, you should definitely find yourself a new hobby. Otherwise you'll drain out in no time!
Seriously, DIY culture comes from feeling different about things, and it forwards a different relation with being and time. It's up to you finding a balance between the handmade attitude and the wish to be a successful seller. That's the reason why personally I rescale my commitment every now and then.

Have a nice day,

Elettra

14 comments:

  1. Interesting post, and I would add that DIY is also about taking the time to learn new things..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! As a certain notebook necklace I saw, for instance!

      Delete
  2. Interessante il tuo post e belle queste creazioni!!!
    Ti va di seguirci?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, un fashion blog! Bello l'articolo su rachel zoe!

      Delete
  3. bellissime

    http://couturetrend.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ma sono le tue creazioni quelle nelle foto? Complimenti!
    http://namelessfashionblog.blogspot.it/
    http://www.facebook.com/NamelessFashionBlog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ho letto l'articolo. Vendere on-line, cosi' come riuscire ad avere anche semplicemente visibilita' è difficilissimo. E il tempo libero è sempre poco....vita dura! Cmq i gioielli sono carinissimi! Un bacio

    NUOVO POST ON LINE VIENI A DARE UN OCCHIATA E FAMMI SAPERE COSA NE PENSI!

    WWW.THEITALIANSMOOTHIE.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visto...ottime le guide e ottima idea riciclare il colletto!!!

      Delete
  6. There sure is a lot more involved in running a home business than most people might think! Your jewelry is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete