Saturday, 26 March 2011

Committed, a Love Story.


After trying Somerville and Ross and Trollope I decided to stop reading stuff I'm not interested in only "to exercise English". Reading must be a relaxing pleasure. I don't want to get tired and feel stupid because I don't get a word.

Once, a friend of mine was insisting, "...If you want to learn a language as many-sided as only English can be, you have to read!". Great, what news! I start defending myself unwillingly, but she went on and on.... and eventually I went off: "Oh, please, I'm no longer seven years old! You can't pretend I do my homework!"
She looked at me suspiciously and fell silent. Then she suddenly disappeared within the giant store we were in. I felt a little bit guilty. After a few minutes, she came back to me with a gift. A gift I paid for, checking out.

It was Committed, by Elizabeth Gilbert. A best seller! About feelings! I was astonished: "Are you kidding me?", I asked. "You read it, then you tell me", she stated seriously.

So, now I'm telling.

My friend was right: maybe because it is a bestseller - or just fresher than Shakespeare -, its kind of English is much easier than the one I was expecting. Prose is well structured. Words are used in a way I can get, even when sometimes I ignore their precise meaning. Moreover, contents are as far away as possible from my prejudgment. The woman who wrote it... well, she is definitely smart. Her reflections are interesting. The way she strings ideas is again... plain, and effective. I don't know why, but I imagine her also as a great worker: maybe because if concepts are so striking, perhaps she spent time in refining them. I hope that's the case, otherwise there's no justice in the world.

Concluding, I was so positively impressed that I finally read my first full book in English. This fact opens to me new perspectives :) Thanks Elizabeth Gilbert, thanks a million, my dear friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment